Grand Opening: My New Treadmill Desk!
As promised, the definitive post about my new treadmill desk!
I finally got the desk pieces delivered Tuesday, though I got the treadmill piece quite a while ago. So now I’m all assembled and rocking along. In fact, I’m walking on the treadmill as I write this!
So, I did not go with the cheapie option. Fair warning. There are some great blog posts out there about how to make your own treadmill desk, or how to jury-rig your existing treadmill so you can type while walking. I considered those options but ultimately discarded them. This is why:
- As you can see, I have a small space. If I did one of the less expensive all-in-one treadmill desks, it would be in addition to my regular desk, and I didn’t want to sacrifice the room.
- I like being able to look out my window and enjoy the view. There’s not enough window for both kinds of desk.
- I didn’t already have a treadmill to jury-rig.
- I’m at my desk about 11 hours a day, sometimes more. I do the the day job from home. So, on top of the writing career, I’m at my desk a good chunk of the time.
- I wanted a good, long-term solution that would fit my life aesthetically and ergonomically.
- For me, this is a health investment. I’d rather spend the money on this now than on health care in the future.
- It’s tax-deductible, too.
So, being who I am, I did a lot of online shopping and cross-comparisons.
I ended up buying the treadmill itself here. I like that it’s small, highly rated and has a control panel that sits up on the desk. They also sell adjustable height desks, but I found a better deal on the desk elsewhere. My big thing is I wanted this, too.
Read the rest of the article here!
"I've been using the TreadDesk for quite some time now and I can't say enough good things about it! The tread itself is quiet, responsive, compact, and sturdy. Working while standing up and walking has been an easy adjustment, and my base speed has increased steadily. I'm a college professor, and have spent the last twenty years sitting at my desk. I set up my computer at my TreadDesk so that when I'm working on it I'm standing or walking. I really wish I had this arrangement from the very beginning. I can't imagine ever going back!"